Book Review: We Need to Talk About Kevin

I recently read We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver and I thought I would have a go at writing a little informal review! No spoilers!

The book is written in a series of letters by Eva to her estranged husband Franklin. They have a 16 year old son (Kevin, duh) who on a Thursday killed seven students, a teacher and a cafeteria worker at his high school, the letters to Franklin talk about from before Kevin's conception and his childhood and mention several moments in Kevin's life when Eva knew that there was something wrong with him and that he wasn't a normal child.

This book was fantastic, the writing was superb and I enjoyed it immensely. I found it a little hard to get into at first, but then I was obsessed. There were times when I had to stop reading and times when I got a bit upset (if you've read it, these were a few moments with Celia), but they were only caused by something in particular that Kevin had done and to be honest a lot of moments really freaked me out. 

I could empathise with Eva, even if she wasn't a likeable character. She did try to be a good mother and Kevin was no help at all and I found Franklin so very frustrating! I just wanted to scream "FRANKLIN! Can't you see what is happening you idiot!” When it comes to Kevin, his character scared me but I looked forward to every story about him, I wanted to know what he did next and I wanted to know exactly what happened and why he killed those people.

I quite liked the ending, and for those who have read it I mean the last couple of pages and especially the final paragraph. I was very pleased and didn't feel like something was missing and I felt there was closure. 

This book was very confronting and really made me think about motherhood, and how no matter what you do or how hard you try you never know how your child is going to be.

I gave We Need to Talk About Kevin 5 out of 5 on Goodreads and I highly recommend it! Very creepy yet enjoyable, and  I plan on watching the film version in the next few weeks as I quite like Tilda Swinton and would like to see how the characters are portrayed.

Megan xo

P.S I hope this review was helpful! 
PPS I also kind of want to watch the film because Ezra Miller is dreamy



No comments